RULES & REGULATIONS
- All participants must be aged 15 years old and above (participants should be born on or before 31 December 2008)
- Participants must either be Singapore Citizens, Singapore PR or foreigners with a valid student or work visa or long-term visit pass in Singapore throughout the festival.
- Employees of The Organisers and their immediate family members are not eligible for participation.
- All personal details submitted must be accurate and complete with verification made available upon request. The Organisers reserve the right to disqualify incomplete or inaccurate entries.
- Incomplete, indecipherable, ineligible or incorrect entries will be disqualified at The Organisers discretion. The Organisers will not accept any responsibility for entries lost, delayed, misdirected, damaged or undelivered. The Organisers shall not be responsible for technical errors in telecommunication networks, Internet access or otherwise preventing entry to the Contest.
- Past SG:SW winners will not be considered for the same category for the following year. However, past SG:SW winners are welcome to participate in the festival and still be considered for other categories.
- Co-written song entries (multiple songwriters) can be submitted for selection, however, a consent form from all songwriters has to be included during submission.
- Engaging in any activity that artificially inflates likes, comments, or shares on social media, including but not limited to buying or trading likes, comments, or shares, using bots or automated tools to generate engagement, or incentivizing others to engage with a participant’s content through false promises or rewards, is strictly prohibited. Any participants found to be engaging in such fraudulent activity may be subject to the rejection of votes, or disqualification from competing for ‘Popularity Award’ by the committee.
- Any personal information, including without limitation, the songwriter’s name, age, address (including postcode), telephone number and/or email address will be used solely in connection with this Festival and will not be disseminated without express permission from the participants. Participants who have granted permission to disclose his/her personal information to a third party, absolves The Organisers from all responsibilities in relation to the disclosure of such information.
- The Organisers reserve the right to terminate the Festival and / or to modify and / or amend the Rules and Regulations prior to the Closing Date, at its sole and absolute discretion. Any such amendments and modifications shall be notified via the Festival Website, and such amendments and modifications shall be effective immediately, applicable to all entries, including entries that have been submitted to The Organisers.
By registering and submitting entries for this Festival, the participant declares, acknowledges and agrees that
- Contents of the entries submitted for the Festival are original works belonging to the respective names as stated in the entry.
- The Organisers reserve the right to remove and disqualify any entries which breach the copyright of any existing literary or musical works under the Singapore Copyright Act.
- The Organisers reserve all rights to use the names, photos, submitted song(s), audios, music and any other relevant information of the participant provided for marketing and promotional efforts of this festival without further notice and compensation.
- The “Best Song Award”, “Lyrics (Merit) Award”, “Melody (Merit) Award”, “Best Vocal Performance Award”, “Singapore Chinese Cultural Centre Xchange Award” and “Popularity Award (Public Voting)” will be produced and released as digital singles, compilation EP and music videos at The Organisers’ discretion. Participants and/or publishers’ of participants must ensure that submitted works do not have any copyright issues and provide full authorisation to the Organisers to publish these winning works to major digital music streaming platforms (Territory: Worldwide). The Organisers reserves the right to record, produce and release the “Best Song Award”, “Lyrics (Merit) Award”, “Melody (Merit) Award”, “Best Vocal Performance Award”, “Singapore Chinese Cultural Centre Xchange Award” and “Popularity Award (Public Voting)” without any upfront royalty payment. Therefore by submitting your original work to this festival, the songwriter(s) acknowledges and agrees that no upfront royalty fee will be compensated to the songwriters and their respective music publishers (if any) should the song be recorded and released as part of the winning prize.
- If the songwriters of the winning songs have yet to sign with any music publishers, the Organisers strongly encourage the songwriter to assign the song to a music publisher before the stipulated release date of the winning song, to ensure that the work can be successfully released to digital music platforms.
- f. All professionally recorded songs shall be archived and made available at MusicSG (National Library Board). MusicSG is a non-profit digital archive set up to digitise, archive and provide access to all forms of published Singapore musical works. It assembles a collection of music composed or published by Singaporeans, music produced or published in Singapore, and music related to Singapore.
- g. The Organisers reserve the right to disqualify the song and recover all prizes awarded to the songwriter(s) in addition to recovering any costs dispensed for the production of the winning songs.
OPEN CALL SUBMISSION
- The Open Call Submission is valid from 22 May 2023 to 25 June 2023, 23:59 hrs.
- All entries must be submitted through our submission page, complete with the participants’ Application Form, Song Demo & Lyrics.
- Song entries must be original compositions complete with melody and lyrics and should be a good demo representation of the song. The songs must contain a minimum of 50% Mandarin to qualify, with the remainder percentage of lyrics to be in any of the 4 main Singapore languages (Eg: English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil).
- Participants may submit multiple entries, with a maximum of 3 sets of lyrics and 3 sets of melody composition in total. Only the first six entries (three sets of lyrics and three sets of melody) received by The Organisers will be considered, should more than the requisite entries be received.
Accepted entries, for example:
Scenario 1: 3 Lyrics by Songwriter A (Melodies by Songwriter B) + 3 Melodies by Songwriter A (Lyrics by Songwriter B)
Scenario 2: 3 Lyrics & Melodies by Songwriter A
Scenario 3: 2 Lyrics & Melodies by Songwriter A + 1 Lyrics by Songwriter A (Melody by Songwriter B) + 1 Melody by Songwriter A (Lyrics by Songwriter B)
- SCCC Xchange Award Criteria: To include strong inter-cultural elements in lyrics, melody or arrangement.
Accepted entries, for example:
Scenario 1: Combining Indian and/or Malay musical elements with Chinese musical instruments
Scenario 2: Using Indian and/or Malay musical elements with Chinese lyrics
Scenario 3: Collaborations between songwriters from different ethnic backgrounds
- Songs should be submitted in MP3 format only (file size not bigger than 10MB) via our official Festival website (sgsw.sg). Hard-copy submissions will not be accepted.
- Submission of lyrics in PDF format is compulsory. Full name of all Lyricists, Composers & Music Publishers (if any) should be stated clearly in the lyric submission.
- Lyrics must not contain content that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, defamatory, blasphemous, libellous, and offensive; or contain content that promotes bigotry, racism, harm against any group / individual or discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, age etc..
- Songs used for submission to SGSW must not be previously released either in a physical format (i.e. Single, EP and full-length album CD, etc.) or digitally (i.e iTunes, Spotify, KKBOX, etc.). Links should be indicated for songs which have been released on YouTube, SoundCloud or other free music sharing portals.
- Song demos must be backed by at least one musical instrument, eg: guitar or piano.
- All song entries must be received before 25 June 2023, 23:59 hrs.
- Songs received by The Organisers will not be returned.
- Song entries received through the Open Call will be curated, and 24 song entries will be selected to be showcased via live performances onsite on 12 & 13 August 2023. Participants who are selected are required to decide on their song’s live performance format (be it as a solo act, group act or with a band etc).
- Songs must be performed with a minimum of 1 live music instrument (eg: Guitar, Keyboard, Ukelele, etc) or as a band set up (maximum 5-piece band comprising of guitars, bass, keyboard and drums, including vocals). Minus-one track accompaniment in addition to the performance condition fore-mentioned is permissible. All performance costs (if any) incurred during the Live Showcase will be at the participants’ expense (eg: vocalists / musicians).
- It is compulsory for all selected participants to submit their photos and personal particulars for the Festival promotional purposes.
- A standard backline – drum set, keyboard, guitar & bass amplifiers will be provided by The Organisers for the Live Showcases. Additional musical instruments required by the participants are allowed at their own expense and subject to The Organisers’ consent.
- e. The Live Showcase will be filmed to be released for public viewing and votes. Judges will also be onsite to curate on the songs performed.
- 5 participants will be chosen at the end of each Live Showcase. These 10 participants are eligible to attend the two Masterclasses and perform at the Finale Concert.
- g. The Organisers reserve the right, without prejudice to any other rights under the Festival Rules and Regulations to decide and/or disqualify the participants selected for the Masterclasses, and no correspondence pertaining to the decision will be entertained.
- Songwriters selected for the Finale Concert, will be entitled to attend two Masterclass sessions at SCCC. The finalists’ songs will be critiqued by established and renowned songwriters during the Masterclasses for further improvement.
- With the tips and knowledge gained from the Masterclass, the participating songwriters could improve on their song (if they wish to) to be presented at the Finale Concert on 7 October 2023.
- All songwriters who have performed during the two Live Showcases are welcomed to attend the two Masterclass sessions on 26 & 27 August 2023.
- Participants are also required to decide and present their finale song (i.e. performance format etc).
- Songs must be performed with a minimum of 1 live music instrument (eg: Guitar, Keyboard, Ukelele, etc) or as a band set up (maximum 5-piece band comprising of guitars, bass, keyboard and drums, including vocals). Minus-one track accompaniment in addition to the performance condition fore-mentioned is permissible.
- The engagement of any vocalists and musicians to perform their song at the Finale Concert will be at participant’s own expense.
- Awards will be presented at the end of the Finale Concert to recognize outstanding songs presented at the Festival, with the most prestigious title being the “Best Song”.
- The awarded “Best Song”, “Lyrics (Merit)”, “Melody (Merit)”, “Best Vocal Performance”, “Singapore Chinese Cultural Centre Xchange Award” and “Popularity Award (Public Voting)” wining songs will then be professionally recorded, released either as a digital or physical album at the discretion of The Organisers, and promoted on local radio stations. A music video will also be produced for each winning song.
- The awardee of “Best Song”, “Lyrics (Merit)”, “Melody (Merit)”, “Best Vocal Performance”, “Singapore Chinese Cultural Centre Xchange Award” and “Popularity Award (Public Voting)” are required to participate in media interviews for the promotion of the songs.
- Winners are required to perform at SG:SW and The Organisers’ events as part of their song promotion within one (1) year from the date of Finale Concert. These performances are subjected to the availability of the performers and each performance will be compensated with a mutually agreed remuneration.
- Seven awards will be presented during the Finale Concert:
- Popularity Award (Public Voting)
- Best Performing Band Award
- Best Vocal Performance Award
- Singapore Chinese Cultural Centre Xchange Award
- Lyrics (Merit) Award
- Melody (Merit) Award
- Best Song Award